Monday, February 26, 2007

Catching up


Ok, I know that I have been not keeping up with the happenings here. I will tell you why.....Does anyone remember dial-up connections? Well, imagine slower than that! It is at times painful (spoiled American!) Here is the update: I am now on Day 11 of bonding with 4 more to go. On Friday we can apply for a court date.~ first hurdle is coming up! It is funny how everything becomes a count down until you can go home. I have settled into life here, although not without kicking and screaming a bit. I am staying in a fairly comfortable apartment. It has two doors with so many locks that I can't even get in-no less anyone breaking in. That should make some people happy. Of course, I have to keep track of four keys! Anyone who knows me well would know how dangerous that is! Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I have made the following observations.....

The weather: Did I tell you how cold it is here? Ok, I probably did.... but I must say it again. It is really cold here! I snows all the time.... there is no such thing as snow removal..... and the temperature yesterday was -4F. Why didn't I decide to adopt from Guatemala? Well, what would be the adventure in that....
Traffic: I have yet to determine if there is any rules for driving. It is unknown if there is any painted lines on the road, because I haven't seen the actual road yet. However, it is doubtful. People here drive insane. Everyone is out for themselves on the road. No one follows lanes of traffic. I think this is a great place for a trauma center! One thing that you do figure out the first day is that pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way. Either you get across the street quickly or you are just out of luck. You must run across the street, on the ice to safety. I am not sure what would happen if you fell in the middle of the road... I don't want to be the one to find out!
Hats: People cannot get the fact that there are times that I do not wear a hat. They stare at me with disbelief~ kinda like I have lost my mind. On several occasions lately, they yell at me in Russian~ probably saying " stupid girl, where is your hat" I either smile at them or tell them in English " I am a grown woman and if I don't want to wear a hat, I don't have to" It is a no-win situation! People tend to stare at us alot... I am pretty sure that they don't know that it is not nice to stare. I usually just smile at them and go on my way.
Things to do: So far, I have gone to the circus and the ballet. So yes, I am not suffering that much! Well, I did have a mental breakdown recently. The isolation, exhustion, snow and lack of people to converse with in English can get to you. Luckily, I met another single who is a former East Coaster that has been a lifesaver for me~ thank you Kim. I will be forever in her debt. She is adopting a sweet baby with an awesome smile named Maya. We hang out for dinner, drink beer and commiserate about how much we miss being home. She is almost done her time here and has helped me get myself together. This a picture of Juliana and Maya hanging out~ probably talking about their new moms and how they need some help!
Juliana: My bright spot!!! She is sick and has been for a couple of days. It seems like a cold, which is all I hope it is. I don't like seeing her not feeling well. They don't let me visit her for long ~ only 30 minutes. That is the hardest part. The great news of today is she is out of her brace!!!! She is just so happy and curious. Lets hope she is better tomorrow.
Well, that is it for now. I just wanted to give you all an update on my time here.
Hope all is well at home......Keep those e-mails coming, I like hearing from everyone!
Thanks to everyone who has commented on my blog: I love reading them!!

До Свидания
Do Svidania
Good Bye

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

google seo elite seo backlink service backlink building service

Anonymous said...

Good day! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got right here on this post. I will be returning to your blog for more soon.

[url=http://xrumergeek.com]xrumergeek[/url]

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome! I don't think I have read through a single thing like this before. So wonderful to find another person with a few unique thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

[url=http://truebluepokies4u.com]online pokies australia[/url]