Saturday, March 31, 2007

Life With the Princess


I know that I haven’t written in a while… so I will give a quick update. On Wednesday, we went to the babyhouse in the afternoon to pick up Juliana. We bought cakes and flowers for the caregivers and medical staff (I know how much the medical people like treats!). It was a day of celebration, but also of sadness for the people who have been the only family she has ever known. The hardest goodbye was with the caregivers in her room. I have been there with them for almost 7 weeks and know how much they care for the children. I think they are happy for the children being adopted, but it must be so sad to see them go. However, I thank them for all the times they smiled, laughed and sang to the babies. It was a happy room, granted not a home, but not a miserable place. You always had a lot of friends to play with! After all the emotional well-wishes, Juliana and I walked out of the babyhouse for the last time. In my possession were 5 medicines and her schedule all in Russian. Ok, this was going to be fun. I had no idea what medicine I was giving her and for what. My interpreter had to give me dosage and times….talk about blind faith. She had some type of respiratory illness, besides other things that I won’t get into now. I can do this…. If I can survive here for 7 weeks, I can do anything!
I am happy to report that Juliana is feeling better and we all have survived. My thanks to Mother Earth~ Trish, because I couldn’t have done it without her. She is the best friend ever (not to take away from my other friends).

Even though I thought it would never arrive, I am packing up tomorrow and flying to Almaty. I am officially 3 ½ days from going home. I can’t even imagine it. I am very ready to go. Even though I am fond of snow, and I adore my team here, I want to be where more than 2 people speak English. I am also ready for warmer weather. It snowed here up to Wednesday. Even though it is probably 20-30’s, it is still cold.

As for Juliana’s adjustment~ she is a trooper. She is very active, very determined and so happy most of the time. She will melt everyone’s heart. She sleeps in a pack and play that has been passed through the travelers… and she has figured out how to make it double as a moon bounce.
Well, I must go for now. We have a busy day tomorrow~ packing, flying, paperwork…If I don’t get a chance to post from Almaty. I will see everyone at home. It has meant the world to me that you have been on this journey with me. There have been times that I didn’t think I would be at this point…. With Juliana asleep peacefully in this place. Your support and words have helped me go on.

Bol’shoe Spasibo
Thank you very much

4 comments:

sandie said...

Hurray just 3 1/2 more days before you start your journey home! Have a safe trip home all three of you! Thank god Trish is there to help you with the princess. Can't wait to meet her!

Gail said...

What wonderful news! I am so happy for you and your new daughter.
Gail

Anonymous said...

2 big tears are running down my face for you and Juliana...Patti Scharff

Anonymous said...

God bless you on your way home. I'm glad to see you guys on your way. :)
Beth