Sunday, March 25, 2007

A New Place



Now I have been living in this city for almost 6 weeks, and have been alright with it….not complaining to much (no comments!), but today the mountains were calling to me and I had to go to them. I planned a day trip to a place called Borabay (pronounced borabya). It is about 3 hours north of Astana as part of the Kokshetau steppe. It is a mountainous area with fantastic lakes and rock formations. Many of the huge rock formations form shapes of people or animals and have legends that are associated with them. It is a mysterious place that is filled with the beauty of the mountains. One of the pictures I have posted is of a rock formation in the middle of one of lakes. Looking at the rock from one side it is a young girl and from the other side, it is of an old woman. Legend says that she was separated from her love and when she couldn’t find him again, she jumped into the lake and drowned. After this, the rock was formed. There are many other legends associated with this place, even how Borbay was created. Legend says that when the God created the world, one country was bestowed large woods, green fields and wide rivers, another beautiful mountains and blue lakes. But the Kazakh people received only steppes (a steppe is barren piece of land with trees). It hurt the Kazakh feelings and they began to ask God to give them a small piece of the wonderful nature. God scratched from the bottom of his bag and threw into the middle of the lifeless steppe the remnants of the picturesque cliffs and lakes with crystal-clear water. He covered the mountains with forests, animals and birds, lakes with fish and meadows with insects and butterflies, which cannot be found in the steppes one hundred miles around. Thus Borbay came to light. (It is really in the middle of flat barren land).
I have to say that it was great to get out of the city and be in the fresh air of the mountains. I am thankful to Sian for driving us there! He brought his son and niece and since Zukra was away, we had a student who is studying English go with us to help with interpreting. Considering it was cloudy and very foggy when we left, by the time we got to the mountains, it was sunny and fairly warm (probably 30F). It was a great day!

I have about 10 days left in Kazakhstan….but I only have 2 more days to visit Juliana in the babyhouse! I can take her out of there on Wednesday. I can’t believe this day is actually almost here. She is doing so well… so smart and so sweet! She is starting to pull herself up, but can’t quite get there herself. I have no doubt it will be soon. She is a spirited child and very determined. I can’t wait to bring her home to meet everyone. My fellow playroom friends from NYC went home yesterday after their court date. I will miss their company, although I will be leaving Astana by the end of the week and going to Almaty.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well at home. Thank you for reading about my latest adventure. I will see you soon!

Mae nailuchshie pozhelaniya
Best wishes to you

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Elise....this is Cathy Kozej,
your consultant w/Mary Kay...you
mom gave me the blog and I have been reading your accounts and your writings make me feel like I'm on tour there with you.
You certainly have a gift of writing and I hope you can put your
experience and your diary here into a published book for others who are considering adoption in a
foreign land. YOU are so courageous to undertake so much but I suppose that's what Motherhood is all about for all of
us...a journey that everyone has a
different "wait time", birthing pains and finally going home with
a new person who God has given us
and with such rewards!
I pray for your safe journey back
to the STATES....Love and a hug,
Cathy

Gail said...

Elise,
I am really enjoying following your trip to Kaz. I can hardly wait until it is my turn and love reading what I get to look forward to. Your daughter is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing,
Gail
adopting Johanna Faith

Anonymous said...

Hi Elise and Juliana,
I have really enjoyed following along with the two of you! Your time is almost up....I don't think I have ever known anyone with so much determination and love to give. Have a safe journey home with your babe (and Trish!!),can't wait to meet her. Love, Patti Scharff