Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dinner With New Friends



Today marks a month that I have been in Kazakhstan. In some ways, it seems like an eternity and at times it is hard to believe that it has been that long. I have become used to life here, but I still can’t wait until it is time to leave. However, I must admit that there are some things that I will miss. The things I miss about home:
Driving~ whenever I want to wherever I want. I hope I remember how to drive. Although I am coming home with new driving tips from here!
My house~ and everything in it
Reading signs and hearing English
Good pizza
Family and friends
Feeling productive
Trees

What I will miss about Kazakhstan:
Being able to walk to any shop or grocery store
New found friends made here
The food~ especially the bread (brown bread like in Ireland)
The cultural experience
The place I met Juliana

Yesterday, I received a surprise invitation to dinner at my coordinator’s (Alma) home for that night. Zukra and I went there after visiting and had an amazing time. Alma prepared many traditional Kazakh foods that were absolutely delicious. There was 3 courses~ it looked like she could have fed an army. I was very honored to have been invited into her home. After many toasts and much to eat and drink, I left for home. Zukra and I managed to drink an entire bottle of some type of alcohol~ besides the vodka, of course! I just adore my team!

Even though I have gone to court and had a favorable decision to register me as Juliana's mother, I can't take custody of her until the appeal period is over. Therefore, I continue to visit her for two hours a day until next Wednesday. She is completely mobile, motoring around the playroom wanting to see and touch everything. If it is at all possible, she gets cuter everyday! I think she may be a budding musician~ she has a toy that if you blow in it, it makes noise. She has watched me do it and now she does it all the time. Pretty good for an 8 month old?!

I just got in from outside and for once, I feel that the weather is starting to change. I may be 20F out there.... it is practically a heat wave! I hope it will stay like this. The cold and wind is so depressing. I hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather at home.... I can't wait to feel that.
Must go for now. Thanks for being involved in my journey and thanks for the comments.

Paka Paka
PS: Don't you just love girlfriend with a babushka!

5 comments:

kate saia said...

Hi Elise and Juliana! Congratulations on the 'formal' word "Mommy" I knew you could do it!!! She is beautiful Elise and you look so happy. We need the both of you to come home now. I can't wait to see you. When is Trish coming up. That will be wonderful for you and Juliana. I am a bit jealous, but I will get over it :) I can't wait for Juliana to see all the things waiting for her. Your journey truly needs to be written. It will become a best seller. What memories. I hope you write every day, your thoughts, what you see, how things look, smell all of it. It will be a story of life for Juliana to have and always remember. Her pictures are precious. Like the first one I saw, bright and happy. I don't know how you do it for 2 hours a day, soon that will be all changed. Sorry I didn't remember to look for your blog earlier. Now I will post more often. I love you and miss you. Soon...I can't wait. Kiss and hug Juliana from 'Auntie Kate'. Sleep tight and dream about the angels. Kate

kate saia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congrats Mommy:)
You are in the home stretch. Can't wait to see you both!
XO Adrienne Bell

Jen said...

hi elise,

i've been following your story for my neighbor and your relative, ruth. she doesn't have internet, so i print out your posts, and i've so enjoyed following along on your journey! congrats to you and juliana!

Anonymous said...

I love you Elisey. So does Juliana! That baby is the cutest! It's sleet and rain here in Philly. Otherwise, I live vicariously through your adventure in Mom-hood! love you H