Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday

Today is Sunday….. Sunday’s are the day we all hate the most. First of all, you can’t visit the babies at all. I guess the workers need a day off from us, although no one can give an explanation of why we can’t visit. I wonder what the children think~ do they think we all left them? So that makes Sunday a very long day. This day is really sad for me because Kim, the friend that I made here, left today to start her journey home. Having a buddy here made time go fast and it was someone who understood what it was like to go through this process. Besides, we became good friends. I wish her well on her trip home and I know we will keep in touch. Anyway, there is plenty to do today. I must do the wash, clean the apartment, and go to the grocery store. I bet you are regretting reading this now!!
Ok, here comes the boring part….but I must share. The washing machine (although I am thankful that I have one) takes over two hours to do a load of wash. What is it doing in there and why does it take so long? Of course, I have no idea what setting I am using because it is in Russian….. but really. Then you have to hang the wet clothes around the apartment. Of course, thank god my social calendar is empty right now, because what would guests think? Then, while I am waiting for the clothes to dry, I walk to the grocery store and try to guess at the mystery meat at the deli. I am not really sure what to make of it…. It looks like chicken, but not really like chicken. I think I will pass on that. I decide on vegetables for dinner. And forget about the beef... I am afraid it will be horsemeat...No way!
There is a new thing on the ground today…. Water! Yes, we are having a heat wave (well, not really a HEAT wave) and some (SOME) of the ice has melted. Amazing! And by the way, my theory about the roads not having traffic lines is true…. There isn’t any. I am still amazed at how people drive here. As I have spent some time in this country, I am still trying to figure them all out. However, I have made some observations. This is a country of dichotomies. It is often described as a third world country; however, most people you pass have on fur coats and designer clothes. The people tend to be a little pushy and not very friendly~are they angry at something? Perhaps, the years of repression has collectively affected them. They do value family and children and are very proud people. I do want to find out more about this country and its rich history. For all the differences, I am glad to experience and live in this part of the world for such an extended period of time. I don’t think as a tourist, I could ever get this opportunity to integrate myself for 7 weeks. I have to say that I am enjoying being here. I am even beginning to understand and speak some Russian.

Well, I must sign off for tonight. I hope everyone is well. I am so glad to share my journey with you all.
Bye for now..

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Elise,

Juliana is so cute

Anonymous said...

Is "J Mac" really "Shamey McNaughty?" Anyway, I can't wait to meet that baby who is ADORABLE. You are quite the globe trekker Elisey. I'm proud of you. That baby's very lucky.

ALAita said...

Hi Elise (and Juliana..of course!)

Glad to see that you made it. Juliana IS adorable. You both look very happy (rightfully so)!

Miss seeing you here at the Coop. Your writing is very good, I really enjoy your decriptiveness.

Best wishes to you and Juliana!

Anonymous said...

What the hell is dichotomies?????
Speak english godammit.....and get me a t-shirt from the local Harley Davidson store out there. Also, if you can smuggle a couple of russian 30 sumpthin female hotties back with you and send them to me (twins if you could), I would be willing to pay 7 thousand rupies each.
Love................
Md. Cous.