Saturday, March 10, 2007

Trade Dealings


Hello everyone!

It is Saturday evening here and since the same episode of Heroes is on once again, I thought I would post another entry. Well, I am less than 2 days away from my court date. I realize that it seems like everything gets broken down into a countdown…. I feel like a prisoner who is waiting for parole and scratching off the days on the cell wall! Time moves very slowly in this part of the world, I swear there are more hours in the day here. There are some really fun times, so don’t let me lead you to believe it is all bad. Last night, I went out to dinner with the couple from NYC, adopting a baby boy, a couple from Spain (He is from Scotland and she is from Spain) adopting a baby girl that is in Juliana’s room, and a couple from France (adopting a baby girl). We had a great dinner, conversation, a lot of laughs and of course, beer. The bonds that are made here become very special. Besides the fact we are all in this together, we understand what it is like to come halfway around the world and live in a completely different lifestyle, all while doing the most important thing that you will ever do in your life~ become a parent. You do rely on those you meet for not only emotional support, but for trading commodities! Today, the playroom after visiting became like an exchange on the black-market. I have books for an English newspaper and someone had a colander and some spices for some DVD’s. Yes, it has come down to this…. Anything in exchange for something to read, watch or do in English. It is impossible to find it here. Once you run out and read your last book or magazine or watch your last DVD, you need to find more. An underground system develops, those that are leaving pass on stuff…..the circle of life!!
The visit today with Juliana was very good. She has become the darling of the playroom. She is so tiny, but has such an amazing spirit. She crawls around the room, flashing a million dollar smile to anyone she sees. She is so intent on watching everything and everyone; she doesn’t want to miss a thing. Zukra (my interpreter) and I can’t even be in the room when she is eating, because she would rather watch what we are doing than eat. No wonder she is so tiny! I think all these children have such spirits considering their circumstances. Yesterday, while we were walking outside with Juliana, there were a group of 2-3 year olds playing in the snow. They were so adorable and all smiles at the attention we were giving them. I wanted to take them home too. However many of the children are not eligible for adoption because their family did not relinquish them. Because they cannot afford to keep them in their homes, they live in the orphanage, sometimes for many years. It is very sad for both the children and their families.

On a happier note, I am posting a picture of Juliana with her boyfriend Henry. I have to have a talk to her about not being quite so available. I am sorry to Massarod, he will have compete for her affections! Henry's mom and Dad are from California. I am also happy that Kim has made it home safely. It is not the same without her.
I hope everyone is doing well. Please send me all the positive thoughts you can for Monday's court procedings and for the rest of my trip. Thank you for joining me on this adventure.

Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elise and Juliana!
Sounds like you're having an eye-opening, once-in-a-lifetime experience....but, it's worth it! Can't wait to meet Juliana in person. Best wishes for Monday...miss you around here.

Tony

(I love your journal, you should have it published in the local papers when you 2 return)

Doreen said...

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you on Monday, as you take on another hurdle on your way to your sweet Juliana. Remember that you both will soon be home with us.