Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Water Everywhere


If there is a one word characteristic of Astana right now is muddy. There is mud and huge masses of water everywhere. I feel like the polar ice caps are melting and it found its way to Northern Kazakhstan! Now that I am in the middle of the city of mud, I think that the ice and snow was so much easier to navigate. At least it is warmer…. 20’s instead of (-) 20’s. There are people who’s job it is to break up the ice and shovel it into truck and cart it off to ??. I have also seen big trucks that function as oversized wet vacs sucking up the floods in the streets. I am talking about a lot of water….. I guess that meant a lot of snow!

Enough of that, lets talk about the little girlfriend. I really think that she is the smartest baby in the whole orphanage. She has learned the alphabet and her numbers…. Ok, not really, but she does show promise of being gifted. Ok, I can’t tell that either… but she is pretty amazing. She loves to be thrown up in the air and anything else that involves movement. Maybe she is a gymnast in training. To bad she is only allowed to play the violin or piano (no chance of spinal cord or TBI). We are officially one week away from leaving the orphanage forever. That day seems a lifetime away… I know that someone keeps adding hours to the day here! It gets longer each day I am here; and I have been here 5 weeks so far. My team here tries to keep me sane, and that is a hard job for them. However, they are abandoning me. I will be left alone in the city from Thursday to Monday. Alma has already left for Almaty for a family matter and Zukra (my English connection) is leaving for Russia on Thursday to see her family. I will be here with Sian who doesn’t speak English. Well, I guess it will put the Russian I have learned to the test. I feel like an adult~ being left alone when your parents go away for the first time!

Anyway, there is nothing else to report from this part of the world. I would love to hear some news from home. Is there anything fun happening? Once again, thank you for being there through my incredible adventure to motherhood and reading my ramblings. I hope to see everyone soon.

Do vstrechi skoro
See you soon

3 comments:

sandie said...

Elise, I can't believe you are only one week away from returning home with Juliana. We are so looking forward to your return! Dr T and Jamie just left the unit. They just called an alert and I have to go will write again later.

sandie said...

False alarm I am back. The weather here is very nice(suppose to be in the 70's by the end of the week. Work is hopping. Now it is in the 50's did take Justin to the playground the other day. It was so great to get out and get fresh air. I can not wait to see the flowers start to bloom and the trees start to bud. Did Trish make it out yet? Everyone says hello! Will write again later.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

My husband and I are enjoying your blog. We just got back from Astana on Jan. 7. I see our coordinators scarf/knit cap and legs in the background of some of your pictures. We went to the circus with your translator and our different agency. Everything you say about Astana is so true. Your baby is beautiful!! She looks familiar to us too. We have a wonderful son and wish you all the best!! jaimiegena@yahoo.com Jaimie and Gena Lloyd PS, /tell Gulasana to email us or else, thanks.